Sunday, January 06, 2008

New Year 08

Yes, the NY 08 celebration was almost 2 weeks ago and I'm just now getting around to typing things up. The truth, of course, is that I've been unbelievably busy. But first thing first - my parents FINALLY met Chris's dad! Yes, this is pretty unbelievable considering that Chris and I have been married for almost 5 years and have an almost year-old baby. But that's just how things worked out to be.
Chris's dad arrived first, shortly after X-mas. My parents drove down from NY 2 days later. This way, they were guaranteed to spend almost 1 full day acquainted before Ron had to catch his flight back to Kansas City. So we kind of celebrated the meeting itself, X-mas and New Year all at once over a nice dinner of cole slaw, fried catfish, collard greens, cheesy grits, and blackeyed peas (yeah, I decided to go with a totally Southern theme this time).

Then for New Year's eve I was so tired of cooking, that I decided not to make anything special. Instead, we bought different cheeses and fruits and good chocolate. After putting Mark to sleep, we all sat by the fireplace and celebrated the New Year... at about 9pm. This year instead of resolutions, I decided to concentrate on building a few good habits such as reading to Mark before he goes to sleep at night. So far, my habit-building attempt is going in fits and starts, but that's because we are actually in Florida now. But when we get back home, I'll get back to the good habits in earnest.