Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day weekend


Before I talk about the Memorial Day weekend, I am going to brag about our foraging success. A while ago I found a couple of mulberry trees in the neighborhood, but they didn't have many berries. So I started paying better attention to the surroundings whenever I'd go on a walk with Mark. And finally I found a path, a greenway by the art museum, along which grow dozens of great mulberry trees. So one weekday morning, before Chris's job interview, we went on a walk together and picked a couple of pounds of mulberries in less than 30 minutes.

My friend Eleonora was here for the Memorial Day weekend. She finally got a plane ticket and came here all the way from Florida. We didn't do much though because, as luck would have it, I got sick. Still, it was great to see her and to spend even just a couple of days with her. What we did was going on walks in the park and at the mall, the Farmer's Market and the flea market. And we took her foraging - to pick mulberries and strawberries.

Mark is growing. I don't remember if I mentioned that he got 2 molars already. There might be more on the way because he is very cranky. He's turning out to be quite a character! Very strong-willed and stubborn! But he has a good sense of humor too. For example, when he tries to do something he's not supposed to, I tell him "Нет! Нет! Нет!" You'd think that would work, right? No way! Instead, he turns to me with a sly smile and says in the same stern tone "Да! Да! Да!" He also learned to kiss over the last week. Now he kisses his toys and me, not so much his daddy though. He finally sleeps through the night - 10 hours straight! And he is at the point where he knows when it's bed time and he insists (!) on being put to bed.

Still doesn't walk independently, but he spends a lot of time learning about his toys and everything else around him. I think he's more of a contemplative type and an observer. Although he enjoys roaming around and pushing and pulling large toys and pieces of furniture. Yesterday he walked clear across the shopping plaza and into a book store where he browsed for a bit before heading out. That was a long walk! He likes sorting toys and putting them into boxes and bags. He also now likes taking the lids off of containers and putting them back on. His latest toy is a noise-maker set (a drum and some rattles) and he REALLY enjoys it.